Monday, February 22, 2010

Simple Supper Sunday Spaghetti

I was not diligent with blogging last week, so here is last week in rear view, starting with Valentine's Sunday!  Sunday's are extremely busy days around our house.  Matthew and I both have a host of duties on Sunday mornings at our beloved Community Life Church that keeps us occupied from about 8:30 - 1:00.  So, we grab a quick lunch of leftovers or dining out.  We finally settle in for some relaxation around 2:30, then it's off to a wonderful parenting enrichment class at 5:30 for Matthew and I.  (We are thankful this class will be wrapping up soon, just in time for Adriatica Farmer's Market on Sundays).  Our evening class snack often serves as mine and Matthew's meal for the evening, but supper has to be prepared for the kiddos and sitter before we leave, so it's call for very simple suppers!


I probably don't need to tell anyone how to make this wonderful meal of convenience... but, indulge me while I share anyway!


This week, Austin's favorite... SPAGHETTI!


Simply cook a package of ground beef, adding in diced onion and seasonings (basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic) while browning. 
Pour in your favorite jar of marinara.  I keep a stock of organic varieties from Muir Glen and Walnut Acres on hand.  To stretch the sauce a little, I often add a can of stewed or diced tomatoes (Muir Glen Fire Roasted).
THEN: Sneak more vegetables into your kid's (and your) diet!!  Some wonderful additions I often make are chopped fresh baby spinach, diced zucchini or squash, a variety of bell peppers, or chopped broccoli.  Don't be scared of putting in several big handfuls of spinach, it cooks down a lot.


A dash of red wine adds great flavor if you have an open bottle around.


Let the sauce simmer for 30+ minutes, if you have time.


Spoon over your favorite cooked pasta and enjoy.  My favorite pasta is organic whole wheat cappelini.

No comments:

Post a Comment