Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pizza, Pizza (that's not a pie)

I LOVE PIZZA!  But, good pizza is so hard to find!  We resolve to making a pseudo pizza here at our house, and we all love it.  I've tried several different things, but this week's version was the best yet!

Things you will need:
1 package of Genesis' Ground Beef
Loaf of sourdough or rustic italian bread
Jar of your favorite marinara sauce
6 oz can of organic tomato paste
Organic baby spinach
Mix of mozzerella, provolone or havarti cheeses (provolone and havarti are your good melting cheeses)
Spices: garlic, basil, oregeno, rosemary, paprika
One of my favorite spice finds are Salt Free grinders made by The Spice Hunter.  I scored these jewels at Sprouts.  For this I use their Garlic Herb Sensation.

Place raw ground in skillet (preferably cast iron, we cook most of our food in cast iron!).
Add spices to the raw meat.  I used about 2-3 tsp of Garlic Herb Sensation and added a pinch of basil and oregeno and a few teaspoons of paprika.  I'm really guessing on the spice amounts, I just sprinkle in until it looks and smells just right. 

Brown your beef.  There should be NO need to drain grease off of your meat!

In a sauce pan mix your marinara sauce and tomato paste together and heat the mixture.

While sauce is heating, prepare your bread.  Slice 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices.  Electric knives make for much cleaner and easier slicing.  If it is already sliced by the bakery a little thinner it will still be fine.  Place on cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and toast (in the oven on low broil) VERY LIGHTLY.  I like to lightly toast both sides.

Remove toast from oven, spread a thin layer (maybe 1/4 inch) of sauce over bread.  Place a layer of shredded baby spinach, then pile on a hearty portion of  cooked beef, top with lots of cheese!  Place back in the oven on low broil for 4-5 minutes.  Make sure you watch it closely as I've found that different oven's broil settings vary greatly!  Leave in just long enough for the cheese to be good and melted!

Serve this with a large side salad and ENJOY!  As with all my recipes, I encourage you to add your own variations and make them your own!  I often top our homemade pizzas with other vegetables as well (but placing the spinach between the sauce and meat on this pizza was my favorite yet).

I promise to start including pictures, so you can see the process and finished product!  Have fun cooking and give me feedback when you try the recipes.  Let me know of your great additions so I can try them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment