Thursday, February 25, 2010

Don't Rush a Roast

A loin tip roast was on our menu for the week.  I have proof that you can give a really good cook a mediocre piece of meat and they can make it good, then you can give a mediocre cook (or a rushed one) a really great high quality cut of meat and it can be ruined!  Often we blame the poor outcome of meat on the quality of the meat rather than our cooking ability or mess ups.  So, this is my confession today that I take full responsibility for this roast being dry, it is not the roast's fault!

We still ate it and it had good flavor, we just had to keep it soaked in lots of juice to keep it somewhat moist.

What I did wrong:
1. I forgot to take the roast out the day before to let thaw in the refrigerator overnight.  So, I took it out in the morning and soaked in lukewarm water.  This is an acceptable way to thaw meat as long as you put the meat in plastic freezer bag so no water gets to the meat, but I wouldn't recommend this method for a roast, they really need a longer chilled thawing time.  Since I was working from home instead of the office this day I though all would be okay and mentally planned to put the roast in around noon.  Well... roasts take much longer to thaw than other cuts of beef, and I know this but ignored my knowledge in the morning.  So without the roast being ready for the oven, I rushed off to lunch with a wonderful mentor of mine thinking I'd swing back by the house before my appointment with my midwife.  But, in my excitement to go see my midwife and hear my baby's heartbeat, I forgot to do that after we finished lunch.
2. I cooked it too fast!
When I returned back home at 3:30 and finally got to the roast, seasoned it, browned it and got it ready for the oven, it was after 4:00.  I cooked the roast at 250 degrees for 2.5 hours.  Way too hot and fast for a roast!  Let me point out, I have eaten many roasts cooked this way and they all too often are cooked this fast in our busy society.  I think we have gotten a little too use to mediocre food because of this.  This method will give you an edible dinner but not a great one.  So, if you want a great roast instead of a simply edible roast, I encourage you to try cooking one slow and low!
3. I should have abandoned my menu and just cooked the next day's meal and saved the roast for another day!  Because I really don't like mediocrity when it comes to food.

If you're roast is continually coming out dry you are likely cooking it too hot and too fast, or not keeping enough liquid in the roasting dish while cooking it.  I've discovered that even the low heat setting on my crock pot cooks a roast to hot, and I've learned every crock pot is different, so yours may do the job fine.

The master meat cooker in our house, Matthew, says 5-6 hours in about 150 degrees.  We recently came across another method from http://www.lgbeef.com/grassfed-beef-roast-recipe
Place beef in roasting pan, uncovered and put in 375 degree oven for 1 hour.

Turn oven off, but DO NOT open the oven door.
For RARE roast beef:
25 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees
For MEDIUM roast beef:
30 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees
For MEDIUM WELL DONE roast beef:
35 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees.
That's all - don't peek!

This recipe leaves you to wonder, how long you leave it in (Matthew and I are making the assumption of about 6 hours) and do you cover the roast with water (My assumption is yes, cover with water at least 1/2 way. Without water it'll dry out no matter how slow and low you're cooking in the oven).

I'm going to try both of these methods within the next few weeks and I'll let you know which method works best.  But don't wait for me to report back, go ahead and give it a shot and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Oh this looks like fun! My roasts never turn out great, and I think it's because my oven won't even heat as low as 150 degrees. I can't wait to try your second method (for those of us with crummy ovens!) and I'll be sure to post how it goes.
    P.S.- love your blog- sounds like we have very similar cooking styles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally perfected my roast cooking...
    Either dry or braised, I cook at the same temp - 160 for about 6 hours. Time is dependent on the roast. If I'm dry roasting (rubbed with cracked pepper and herbs, set in a cast iron, no water added) I make sure I do not cook past an internal meat temp of 145.
    When I braise, I coat the roast with coarse kosher or sea salt, cracked pepper and herbs, sear the roast on two sides in olive oil in a cast iron dutch oven, throw in quartered onions and potatoes, cover with water and cook in the dutch for 6 hours. (Within the next few days I make stew out of leftovers, or I freeze the broth in mason jars for later use).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add.... I absolutely DO NOT use my crock pot for cooking roast! A customer of ours shared with me that her 1970's wedding gift crock pot suddenly stopped working last year. Since then she has been through three more trying to find one that cooked as well as her original. Yours may be fine, but if your meat temp reached 145 before about 4 hours of cooking, it's too hot for a good roast in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete